Hon. Stephanie H. Klein (Ret.)
Neutral, Mediator and Arbitrator serving the greater Philadelphia area
Hon. Stephanie H. Klein (Ret.) enjoys an outstanding reputation in the legal community for her even judicial temperament, legal acumen and ability to bring people together to resolve cases. In her 18 years on the bench, she helped to settle hundreds of civil cases as well as worked out resolutions of criminal cases. She has adjudicated thousands of cases, including complex criminal cases involving government forgery, theft, and insurance fraud. Her civil caseload included consumer, business, tort and both commercial and residential real estate disputes.
Areas of Expertise
- Personal Injury
- Business and Commercial Disputes
- Real estate
- Judge Klein served as the Magisterial District Judge for Media, PA. and surrounding communities from 1996 to 2013. Her diverse caseload encompassed almost every area of civil and criminal law.
- Since 2014, Judge Klein has mediated several dozen sex, race, age and pregnancy discrimination cases as well as cases involving the Americans with Disabilities Act for the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission.
- She is a Judge Pro Tem for the Philadelphia Court of Common Pleas and participates in Delaware County Bar Association’s Voluntary Settlement Program, mediating personal injury, medical malpractice and property damage disputes.
- She serves on the arbitration panels of FINRA, the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania and the Delaware County Court of Common Pleas.
- She serves as arbitrator and mediator on the Judicial and Employment Panels and on the Philadelphia General Commercial Panel of the International Institute for Conflict Prevention and Resolution (“CPR”).
- She is a hearing committee member of the Disciplinary Board of the Pennsylvania Supreme Court.
- She mediates real estate disputes for Suburban West Realtors Association.
- Judge Klein attended both basic and advanced training at the Center for Dispute Settlement in Washington, D.C. She completed coursework in a two-day commercial arbitration seminar sponsored by JAMS, the American Arbitration Association and the American Bar Association. Attended a two-day Arbitration Institute sponsored by ABA.
- She is a board member of the Pennsylvania Council of Mediators, Legal Aid of Southeast Pennsylvania and the Domestic Abuse Project of Delaware County.
- High Court Rejects State Exception to Federal Arbitration Act – (June 2017)
- Improving Access to Private Mediation for Limited English Proficient Persons in The Legal Intelligencer – Alternative Dispute Resolution Supplement (January 2017)
- What Litigators Should Know About the Mediation Process in The Pennsylvania Law Weekly (September 2016)
- Converting Conflict to Resolution in Fractious Familiesin The Philadelphia Bar Reporter (April 2016)
- Mediating, Judging With Pro Se Parties: A Balancing Act in The Legal Intelligencer – Alternative Dispute Resolution Supplement (January 2016)
- The Cost Effectiveness of Mediation in ISSUU – Delco re:View (Winter 2014-15)
- “Dealing with Ethical Dilemmas and Difficult Cases,” Pennsylvania Council of Mediators annual conference, April 16, 2016.
- “Fighting Over Mom and/or Her Stuff…Mediation in Estate and Elder Law Cases,” Delaware County Bar Association Continuing Legal Education Seminar, October 2015
- Judge Klein received her Juris Doctor degree from Washington College of Law, American University in 1979
- She graduated from the State University of Binghamton with a B.A. in French & History